Bonjour!

I have very much enjoyed my first days here! Our long days are filled with many adventures! We take fun classes in the mornings where we get to practice our French as we interact with France’s inhabitants. Yesterday, our entire day was spent in Nice! Nice is beautiful and amazing! We took a train from St. Laurent to Nice and arrived at la gare de Nice. We then walked to the market which is full of cafés and shops that sell all sorts of things such as vegetables, fruits, meats, cheese, bread, and even ice cream! For our class, we were given the name of a typical dish and were asked to buy a piece and ask for the recipe. My group had la pissaladière which we found out consists of onions, olive oil, anchovies, and dough. After discussing and trying other regional dishes, we had lunch beside the beach. The view was absolutely spectacular as we watched the beautiful blue water. There were many visitors at the beach and they looked like they had a lot of fun. The water was crystalline, clean, and absolutely amazing. I did not swim because I forgot my swimsuit but tomorrow when I return to Nice I definitely will! My friend Grace and I walked down la promenade des anglais, once again overlooking the beach. Afterwards for the French Conversation and culture class we visited the Modern and Contemporary Art Museum of Nice. I saw wonderful art pieces such as those of Niki de Saint Phalle, Jean Tinguely, and Yves Klein. The museum also had a lot of American Pop art. We also got the chance to explore an exhibit on color which had works of Matisse and Picasso. After free time to explore the city, we returned to St. Laurent by train. I can’t wait to return to Nice!

Today we had class in the morning. We talked about stereotypes and different ones that apply to different groups of people. After lunch, we had free time and afterwards, the group took a train to Antibes. At Antibes we swam in the pool and enjoyed ourselves there. I cannot wait to return to Antibes and swim in the crystal blue water and have a picnic on the beach!

There are many more exciting adventures to come!

A la prochaine fois!
Nayelly